Information side panel
The values of attributes not already shown in flags or notes and referential metadata are displayed in table views with an information icon ‘(i)’ that opens on click the information side panel.
The information icon ‘(i)’ indicates the availability of (non-flag and non-note) attributes or referential metadata at the appropriate level:
- Dataflow (empty coordinate) The ‘(i)’ is shown behind the dataflow title.
- Partial coordinate (any number of dimensions > 0) depending on the table layout
- if referantial metadata pertains to all observations in the row, the ‘(i)’ is shown in the corresponding cell of the extra (information) column.
- if referantial metadata pertains to all observations in the column, the ‘(i)’ is shown in the corresponding cell of the extra (information) row.
- if referantial metadata pertains to all observations in the table, the ‘(i)’ icon is shown behind the dataflow title.
- if referantial metadata pertains to the observation in a cell (some coordinate dimensions are in columns and others are in rows), the ‘(i)’ is shown in the data cell.
Clicking on an ‘(i)’ icon of the table view opens the information side panel with the attribute or referential metadata values. The panel is displayed on the right side (left side for rtl mode) of the web page as an overlay of the current view, and thus not impacting the layout of the current view. A clicked ‘(i)’ icon becomes highlighted, and the entire web page content is frozen except the information side panel content.
The header of the side panel contains:
- the localised panel title ‘Information’
- a button to expand or collapse all grouped attribute or referential metadata values (expanded by default)
- a button to download the current referential metadata contents with the SDMX-CSV (.csv) file format (the download of attributes will be added later)
Attributes or referential metadata are titled by their attachment:
- dataflow: dataflow title
- partial coordinate: similar to fixed dimensions in table sub-title
Interface labels and coded values are displayed according to the current “Labels” option: ‘Name’, ‘Identifier’ or ‘Both’.
Each (group of) attribute or referential metadata can be expanded or collapsed individually.
The side panel closes when clicking the overlay, clicking the ‘close’ icon or pressing the Esc key. This cancels also the highlight state of the ‘(i)’ icon.
Attributes are grouped under the parent “Data Characteristics”, which can be configured and localised.
Referential metadata can be represented with a hierarchy if such is defined in the corresponding SDMX Metadata Structure Definition (MSD). Note that currently only one child level is supported, and that the parent metadata of child metadata cannot have data themselves, the parents being “presentational-only” elements. For details see here.
The hierarchy is expressed in the information side panel using a tree structure and all tree branches are expanded by default.